World Mental Health Day - 10 October
Self care is a really important part of being able to look after others. Hospice West Auckland offers a broad range of services, both physical and psychological support (for grief, loss and bereavement) to patients, families and whanau.
World Mental Health Day is taking place on Monday 10 October 2016, but taking care of your mental health is important all year round.
Here are five tips for taking care of yourself this World Mental Health Day:
1. Take care of yourself. Be active and eat well - these help maintain a healthy body. Physical and mental health are closely linked; it's easier to feel good about life if your body feels good.
2. Connect with others. Develop and maintain strong relationships with people around you who will support and enrich your life. The quality of our personal relationships has a great effect on our well-being.
3. Contribute to your community. Volunteer your time for a cause that you care about. There are many great ways to contribute that can help you feel good about yourself and your place in the world.
4. Notice the here and now. Take a moment to notice each of your senses each day - feel the sun and wind on your face and notice the air you are breathing.
5. Take time to enjoy. Set aside time for activities, hobbies and projects you enjoy - do a crossword; take a walk in your local part; read a book; sew a quilt; draw pictures with your kids.Back to News